Monday, March 9, 2015

Four Books on Order

Commentary::Personal

Now and then you have to blow a hundred bucks or so on books. A Safari subscription at O'Reilly subscription can save you quite a bit on professional expenses, but at the end of the day, you often have to cough up some additional cash.

Today, the total was 4. One does not count: The Hydrogen Sonata, by Ian Banks. Pure entertainment.

So what does count? The following three.

  1. Hackers - Steven Levy. I am looking for support for my argument that the crypto wars never ended. The NSA would then be a continuing chapter in that game, as described very well by any Bamford work you would ever care to read. _Hackers_ is on my Safari bookshelf, but that is not the same thing as being able to refer to page numbers in the original edition.
  2. How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching - Susan A. Ambrose. Widely acclaimed, and we damned sure need better methods of teaching security. Or any other subject, for that matter.
  3. Capital in the Twenty-First Century - Thomas Piketty. This book has already had enormous press, so I won't write much about it here. I will mention that I regard economics as a highly-politicizied proto-science, at best. But without bringing economics, in whatever state, into the mix, neither security practioners or researchers can really have much much effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 60 days go into a moderation queue. It keeps out a lot of blog spam.

I really want to be quick about approving real comments in the moderation queue. When I think I won't manage that, I will turn moderation off, and sweep up the mess as soon as possible.

If you find comments that look like blog spam, they likely are. As always, be careful of what you click on. I may have had moderation off, and not yet swept up the mess.