Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Fractional Day in the Life


This morning (0630 or so), I was out letting the hose run onto the base of a birch tree that has an enormous climbing rose clambering through it. I'm on a well, so water is essentially free, and I often do things like this while I'm thinking about the problem de jour.

This was not obvious to the neighbor who walked by, and politely asked what I was up to. A hose doesn't make much noise, after all. From that neighbor's perspective, I was just leaning against the side of Old Scabrous, my 1990 Jeep. The conversation ran like this.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Working."

"Propping up Old Scabrous?"

"Thinking about entropy."

"WTF is that?"

<brief semi-coherent explanation, while trying to save state, and not lose the better part of an hour of work>

As a reward, I got that exasperated "I live next to a twisted alien mutant from the Forbidden Zone" look. It's all cool; my neighbor knows I am harmless, even if apparently somewhat deranged, and is a very nice person.

So, there you go. A Day in the Life. Well, a snapshot of 6:30 AM life, anyway. And yes, I had been thinking about this since roughly 5:30. I keep weird hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 60 days go into a moderation queue. It keeps out a lot of blog spam.

I really want to be quick about approving real comments in the moderation queue. When I think I won't manage that, I will turn moderation off, and sweep up the mess as soon as possible.

If you find comments that look like blog spam, they likely are. As always, be careful of what you click on. I may have had moderation off, and not yet swept up the mess.