Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A SOHO Router Security Update

Commentary::Network
Audience::All
UUID: 6cb54b70-6f80-4959-bb8b-c8d20fc07e93

In April, 2014 I published Heartbleed Will Be With Us For a Long Time. One point of that post was the miserable state of SOHO router security. I referenced /dev/ttyS0 Embedded Device Hacking, pointing out that /dev/ttyS0 has been beating up on these devices for years. If you don't feel like reading my original post, the takeaway from that portion of the post is as follows.
Until proven otherwise, you should assume that the security of these devices is miserable. I have private keys for what seems to be 6565 combinations of hardware/firmware combinations in which SSL or SSH keys were extracted from the firmware. In that data, 'VPN' appears 534 times.
The database was hosted at Google Code, which Google has announced will be shutting down. I am interested in the rate at which embedded system security is becoming worse (as it demonstrably is) and meant to urge /dev/ttyS0 to migrate, if they hadn't already done so. I wanted the resource to remain available to researchers. Google Code doesn't seem to provide (at least in this case) a link to where migrated code might have gone, but searching GitHub turns up four repositories. Apparently I am not the only person interested in the preservation of this work, and the canonical /dev/ttyS0 repository is still available.

/dev/ttyS0 also has a blog. Visiting that today, I find that they have recently been beating up on Belkin and D-Link. That's a bit sad, because in simpler times, I carried products from both of these vendors in my hardware case.

There is no room for sentimentality in this business. But there is room for keeping track of trends, and gazing into an always-cloudy crystal ball, trying to extrapolate trends, and spot emerging threats. Sometimes that is ridiculously easy; I hereby predict:

a) the Internet of Things will be a source of major security/privacy breaches in 2015 [1]
b) consumers will neither know nor care, in any organized manner
c) businesses will continue to buy 'solutions' that are anything but

In short, things will continue to get worse, at an increasing rate, as they have always done.

[1] I often tell a simplistic story (to non-practioners) about how I came to be interested in security and privacy, equating the two as a simple scaling matter. Privacy is security on a small scale, and the obverse. That is not actually true; there are technical differences, down to the level of which attacks are possible, let alone which matter. But that is a whole different post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 60 days go into a moderation queue. It keeps out a lot of blog spam.

I really want to be quick about approving real comments in the moderation queue. When I think I won't manage that, I will turn moderation off, and sweep up the mess as soon as possible.

If you find comments that look like blog spam, they likely are. As always, be careful of what you click on. I may have had moderation off, and not yet swept up the mess.